Friday, January 23, 2009

All is good. For now anyways.

Our meeting with the Principal & teacher went really well today. What a huge relief! We went through everything Alex does at school that doesn't, lets say, show off her better side. She doesn't sit at story time, she will lay down, pull up her shirt, show off her undies, kick the wall, or if she is sitting, she wont sit criss cross applesauce. AND when the teacher gets up from her seat to do something, guess who scrambles up to spin in the chair? Yup. My daughter. She ALWAYS wants to be line leader. And usually yells at who ever gets there first. Then she will yell at the teacher. Then she gets sent to the office. She is an over zealous cleaner. Cleaning things that aren't hers to clean. She has NO friends. (this made me start to cry, I am still devastated that she doesn't have a little buddy) The little girls in her class are all very clicky. And they have decided to leave Alex out and they tattle on her endlessly. Which, pisses her off. I, can see both sides. 1. No one likes to be friends with someone who yells all the time. BUT, 2. No ones likes to be told on, and be left out. I would probably want to yell at them too. But being a grown up & all its frowned upon.

They did give me some great attributes about her though. She is incredibly smart. Very loving. A girl with a broad imagination, who has the ability to stay on task. They are very impressed with her connection skills. Not many 4 year olds can put together a 100 piece puzzle with out any help. In a short amount of time too. She's got exceptional reading skills for a 4 year old. She just needs to learn how to control her emotions.

Now, here's a little secret. We're taking her to counseling. I don't know HOW it will help. But I am positive it will. Its very humbling as a parent to say: "Hey, I need some help here. Things are not going right. What can you suggest?" But its come to a point where Trav & I just aren't cutting it. And I'm ok with that. What ever I can do to make my daughter a success. I'm there. So, like I said, All is good.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Stacey...you guys will continue to be in our prayers. I am proud of you. As parents sometimes we don't. know. what. to. do. So often we let our pride get in the way of asking for help...help that is best for our child. Good for you guys for putting Alex's needs first!

Tammy Williams said...

Do you think she is being challenged enough in her class? Is she bored and that is why she acts out? My cousin was that way until they decided to put her up a grade. She did really well after that. I am proud of you too for putting Alex's needs first. What great parents you are! And hey, my mom had to take me to a psychiatrist when I was a kid too. I had anger issues. I seemed to turn out okay....I think....I hope....:)