Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The "Free Spirit"

Alex is my free spirited child. She really does march to the beat of her own drum. On Monday evening, I was finishing up the folding of "mountains" of clothing mentioned in my previous post, when Maddy calmly says to me, "Mommy, Alex is drawing on your purse." I was like, "huh? What did you say?" Then I shot up and went to the table where sure enough, my not to inexpensive Dooney & Bourke handbag, had 4 different colors of crayon scribbled all over it. I was PISSED. It might not of been so bad, had it not been a gift from my Mother in law. I mean, my thoughts are if you have kids then don't expect to keep everything perfect all the time, cuz it ain't gonna happen. But I know that my purse was not cheap, and it was a really special gift from her to me, and Alex just ruined it. I think I gave her something like 5 whaps on the bottom, and yelled at her to go to her room, and that "I will deal with you later" following it. So, she sat on her bed. And sat, and sat, and sat. Finally, after about 30 minutes, I went up stairs to dole out the as Alex called it "pushment".. Here is a re-play from our conversation:
me: "I am very very disappointed in you Alex."
alex: "yeah"
me: "Why would you do that to Mommy's purse? Do you think that was a good choice?"
alex: "Cuz..Cuz...Cuz..I dunno why"
me: "Alex, what is REALLY important to you?"
alex: "Popsicles"
me: "ok, you are grounded from Popsicles. What else do you REALLY like?"
alex: "treats from the tweasure box" (treasure box is a box of treats they can earn)
me: "Ok, so you are not getting Treasure box for a LOOOONG time. Anything else?"
alex: "Sowwy Mommy... But you're pretty and beautiful."
me: "gee thanks, is there anything else you need to add?"
alex: "I won't pee in my bed anymore."
me: "well, I guess that's somethin."

She still understands that what she did was very wrong.. and her attitude has been pretty decent these last 2 days. She is currently singing and doing her job assigned to her.(wearing pink cammo pants, and a head band around her head, over her hair and nothing else) Singing, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer at that.. Leave it to my kid to sing a Christmas song in June. Like I said, Free Spirit.

3 comments:

Mrs.Gator said...

Thank you for posting that story! I needed it after the news we got today. I am so glad I chose just now to read your blog because I felt the next round of tears coming along...
Love ya,
Charity

Mrs.Gator said...

Hey sis-
This is your baby sister. I wanted to tell you that I LOVED that story!!!! Mom and I had a really good laugh!!! But I am sorry about your purse!! Did all the colors come out? I hope so!!
Do you remember at charitys rehearsal dinner when your oldest insisted on sitting next to Auntie Elizabeth and ended up spilling her root beer on me and my dooney, then another root beer on me and my dooney, then she was nice enough to try and clean us up by spilling her water on my AND my dooney!!! She knew auntie was MAD and she cried and cried!!! My poor purse will forever have nice brown root beer stains on it!!!
I think your girls are trying to tell us that we are not supposed to own dooney & bourke purses!!! Hope that makes you feel a little better!! I LOVE YOU GUYS TOO MUCH!!!!
~Love Elizabeth~

Jodi said...

Awww, sorry to hear about the purse! I don't know which one you have, but if it's one of them with the "DB's" all over it--she probably just wanted to add her own initials to it! :o) I hope you were able to get it out!

What a cute conversation! I don't know how you could just crack up! I think I'll have a really hard time keeping a straight face if/when Ali ever tells me I'm beautiful during one of her (many, I'm sure!) punishments!