Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Eric Clapton? In case you were wondering: Not for kids.

This morning as we were driving into town, we were listing to a bit of vintage Eric Clapton. You know, his good stuff. "I shot the Sheriff", "Knockin' on Heavens Door", "Layla", & "Cocaine" among others. Now, we weren't really paying attention to what songs were on as we were driving. Turns out, Alex was. Really listening. Very intently apparently...

Ooops.

When I picked Miss Alex up from school this morning, the teacher quietly pulls me aside and asks me about some "songs Alex was singing during play time."

Shoot.

Me: "Ok, what were the songs was she singing?"

Crickets....

Mrs. B: "Well, I heard her singing something about "shooting a sheriff", then, "she don't lie, she don't lie, cocaine". And I have to tell you Mrs Johnson, this is not appropriate for the classroom or for 5 year olds."

No kiddin?

Me: "OH, I AM SO SORRY! We had an Eric Clapton CD in the car this morning and those are his songs. I didn't even realize that she was listening so intently. My husband & I were just talking in the car and not even paying attention to what was on the stereo. We would have turned it off or switched the CD, or or or something! I am so terribly embarrassed. I am certain she doesn't understand what she is singing about. I mean, its not like we talk about stuff like that at home! Really I am so very sorry. Um, did the other kids hear her? Do I need to talk to any parents? Wow. What do you need me to do?"

I think I rambled.

Mrs. B: "No, the other children weren't paying attention to it, I just wanted to bring it to your attention. This is really not something to joke about you know. I figured they were song lyrics which is why I am taking this directly to you and not approaching the principal about it."

Me: "Thank you for letting me know. I will make sure to remove that CD from our player. Did she have a good day otherwise?"

Mrs B. "Well, No. She didn't. She was very difficult during recess..." (it goes on but its boring.)

Me: "Ok, I will have a talk with her about that too. Sorry about everything today Mrs. B, have a nice afternoon."

Eric Clapton Cd: $12.00
Pre-School Tuition: $125.00 a month
Having you childs teacher tell you your daughter was singing about Drugs & Guns: Priceless

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I am sorry, that is funny though. Brice and I were listening to Cocaine yesterday in fact and I realized what it was and turned it off. It could have been me. We sing "I shot the sherriff" all the time, so don't feel too bad.

Christina Bernards said...

OH MY GOODNESS! i'm so sorry to laugh. poor alex, just singing to the tunes that are in her head. seh tries so hard to be good, who'd've thunk ol' eric would get a preschooler in trouble. oh, the stories you'll get to tell her kids!

Mrs.Gator said...

I'm sorry Stacey but that teacher is just picking on Alex now! Calling the principal on her because she is singing a song, granted not the best song but STILL! I think Alex is a pretty sharp little girl to be able to remember the lyrics to a song and you shouldn't feel bad about it, you should be proud. It would be one thing if you were listening to Dr. Dre or Snoop dog and she was dropping F-Bombs at school, then you should feel bad haha.