Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Inside Maddy's Mind


This afternoon, after I picked all my girls up from Daycare, we were driving to go to Gwamma & Gwapa Murphy's house when we saw these 2 teens walking down the street. They were both dressed "goth/grunge" like. In almost all black, tall black Doc Marten boots, you know the kind of clothes I am talking about.. And one of the kids had, uh, his (or her) hair pulled up in a REALLY TALL mowhawk. With spraypainted circles on it. (I am still wondering how much aqua spray he (or she) used to get it to stand up that straight for a long period of time..)Maddy, my sweet blonde haired, blue eyed, innocent little girl, noticed...it. And of course asked me why said kid dressed like that.

UMMM. Crap.

Me: "Well Madikins, everybody expresses them self a little differently then everybody else. And those kids, well, have their very own, uh, style."
Maddy: "What do you mean by expresses, Momma?"
Me: sighing because I can tell this is going to be a fun conversation.. "Ya know how when you are happy you sometimes will shout out for joy? Like, YAY! Its a stay home day?!"
Maddy: "Yeah"
Me: "Or when you are so sad, you will cry?"
Maddy: "Yeah"
Me: "That's a way to express your self. Its when you are showing on the outside, what you feel on the inside."
Maddy: "OH!! So those kids must feel kinda dark inside huh?"
Me: "Yeah, I guess you could say that."
Maddy: "So could you expwess being nervous? You know like when you walk into, uh, like the 6th, or 4th, or 3rd gwades.. and 1st gwade too? And you are walking through the halls and you don't know youwa cheacher and any kids in class, and your heart is kinda jumpy and your tummy feels funny, and you kinda maybe want to cry cuz well you are nervous? And you are maybe a little bit afraid? Like that Momma?"

CRAP!!!

Me: "Oh sweetie, were you nervous when you went into school? Are you still nervous?"
Maddy: "Yeah, I was pretty scared.. But I am much better now. I have a new best friend. Her name is Peyton just like my baby sister Peyton. She even spells it the same. And I LOVE my cheacher Mrs. Taylor. She is so nice. But she did tell me that we are only going to get 3 recesses for a little bit longer, then we will only get 2."
Me: "Oh, that stinks, but I am very glad you are not nervous anymore. I want you to tell me if you ever are ok?"
Maddy: "Ok, I will"

**Whew**

Wow. Thats all I could think. My little 6 year old has quite a lot going on in her sharp, still needs to be sheltered, mind. And all I can think is I have 3 of these sharp minded kiddos to deal with. I am gonna be brain dead before Maddy gets through Elementary school!

No comments: