Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The (not so) scenic route

I love my hub. I really do. He is a great man who does so much for our family. Big and small. I can name so many small things that he does that just makes him wonderful as well as my life easier. Like changing the television channel to channel 2 before he shuts off the TV at night because he knows I like to watch KATU news while getting ready for work. Or like how he always makes my coffee and lunch in the morning so I don't have to. Or how he almost always does the dishes every night after dinner because he knows how much I don't like to. Among MANY other things.

BUT. And this is a pretty loaded BUT. He likes to take the "Scenic Route". You know, the route that in all my past experiences takes 2X as long as the normal route. Enter big sigh here.

This weekend we were able to go to Warrenton/Seaside for a great weekend away to visit some pretty great friends, the Wilkins. It was a really fun time and we didn't really want to head home but we kinda had to. Right before we left, Trav says to me:

Trav: "Stace, I think I am going to take us home through Tillamook, through Hebo and off Bible Creek right in to Willamina"

Me: "Really Trav? I don't really want to do that. It's really windey and bumpy isn't it? I would much rather take 26 through Banks/Forest Grove/McMinnville."

Trav: "No, its not that bad, I promise! I am pretty sure that's the way we are going to go home."

Me: "No, really Trav, I really really would rather go the way we came. I think it will take us a lot longer to get home that way, and I would rather just get home a quick as we can."

Trav: "It won't take us longer, I bet we will get home in just about the same amount of time.:

Me: "Traaaav,(note, whiny voice) I really really really don't want to go that way."

Trav: " Staaaaace (note, mocking whiny voice), I really really think we are going home that way, don't worry about it."

Me: "Fine. Seriously though, if it takes longer then the normal route, you are going to have to deal with me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now all loaded up in the van, and headed on our way home. Through Tillamook. And we turn off at Blaine. And we drive. And drive. And drive. On really bumpy, windey roads. And we drive.

About 3 hours into the trip home. Yes. 3 hours. (My way would have taken 2. Just 2) We drive upon a big body of water. This is different then the Nestucca River we have been following the whole way. It kinda looks like a, huh? LAKE?

Me: "Um, Trav? I didn't know there was a lake up here by Willamina."

Trav: wearing his oh shit face. "Uh, there isn't"

Out comes the map.

Me: "It looks to me TRAVIS, that we are all the way over here. On our way to YAMHILL. On Meadowlake Rd."

Trav takes the map.

Trav turns the van around.

Me: "Seriously Travis, where are we going now?"

Trav: "We need to find the road to Bible Creek. It looks to me like its 6 miles back, then 26 miles down that to Willamina."

Me: SILENT

Maddy: "Mommy! I don't feel good."

Me: "Sorry sweetie, you are feeling car sick, just go to sleep, that'll help"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 min later.

We finally get back to the point where Bible Creek road is. We turn off on to it. We aren't but 5 min down Bible Creek when I hear it. The noise no parent likes to hear EVER, let alone your vehicle. A puking kid.

Trav pulls over, I hop out of the van (Have I mentioned yet that the rain was coming down in buckets? And had been the entire time?) and I grab an empty cup that was in arms reach and hold it for Maddy to be sick in. All while standing in the rain. While Trav sits in the drivers seat feeling sorry for himself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddy is cleaned up with baby wipes. We are back on our way down this wonderful scenic route, when I look behind me and guess who has wriggled out of her car seat? Oh yes, Peyton! Yay! She has learned how to crawl out of her 5 point harness! What's next kid? Top story work?

I unbuckle and turn around in my seat to buckle the kid back in.

She does it again.

Its now become a game.

Oh joy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally after 4.25 hours on the road, we pull into Sheridan. Van running on fumes and smelling like puke.

Thanks for the memories Trav. Now don't ever take us on the Scenic Route again. Love you. Stace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow.

Tammy Williams said...

That is HILARIOUS! Jeremy loves to take the SHORT-CUT even though it is never any quicker - just windier. I hear ya. So sorry your trip lasted 4 1/2 hours though.

Brooke said...

Just look at it this way Stac it is a memory. One to tell the grandkids.