Sunday, October 25, 2009

A worried Momma



That is the face of a wonderful kid. I love her so much I can barely catch my breath sometimes. Which is true for all my girls, but this week it was especially so for her. About a week ago, I had taken her into the doctor for a short visit in regards to her dimples on her backside. See, they were not aligned and being the responsible parent I am, I made an appointment. The thing of it was, I fully expected her Pediatrician to say, "Don't worry Mom, its fine." Well, he didn't say that. In fact, he took one look at her spine and said, "This worries me." WHAT? He wasn't supposed to say that! And it wasn't the un-aligned dimples that he was worried about. It was the lump centered right on the base of her spine. A LUMP on my daughters spine. He did tell me that it is most likely a Lipoma. Which is made entirely of fatty cells. Ok. I can handle that. He also said it could be fluid draining there, or a tumor. A TUMOR. The first things that went through my head were: No. Not my kid. We have healthy kids. She's fine! She runs and laughs and plays. There is no way a tumor has been growing on her spine. Then I calmed down a bit and thought we will take it one day at a time. One Prayer at a time. So the Ped ordered an MRI of her Spine at OHSU, with complete sedation. We had to wait a week. A full WEEK before the thing was done. Which was this past Friday. We were to check her in at 1:00, she would be brought back to begin the IV/sedation process at 2:00 and the MRI would be at 2:30. No food after 8:00 am, no drink after 11:00. Of course, hospitals being hospitals, it was delayed by an HOUR. She was not sedated until just before 3:30 and she was off to her MRI for an hour. What a long hour. We got her back and was told that the results won't be in until Monday or Tuesday. One thing I do know is that they only had to take images of her spine which was relieving to me. I was told by the ped that if they found ANYTHING they would immediately scan her head, so the fact that they only scanned her back was good news. Until I know for sure though, my prayers are still right there... I will update with the good news when I get them!

3 comments:

Tammy Williams said...

Oh what a scary time you are going through. We will keep Pey in our prayers!

Jodi said...

Oh, how scary!!! I'm thinking about you and Peyton! I'm anxiously awaiting the good news!!!!

the Provident Woman said...

I know it's scary. When I had to take my oldest when she was three for her first MRI I was a blubbering mess. I actually cried more seeing her on the MRI table sedated with all of the tubes hooked to her than I did when she actually had her brain surgery. (Don't worry, she was fine just extra tissue that needed to be removed around her spine and lower brain tissue.) I probably shouldn't have told you about our experience. I never know if that helps or makes things worse for people. You little one and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

It might be a bad time, but it also might cheer you up. I have a giveaway at my blog right now. I hope you enter and win, just to cheer you up.